Salvatore Taddeo Jr. completed his high school education and enrolled in the Institute of Design and Construction, a non-profit technical college at 141 Willoughby Street in Brooklyn. IDC is now closed, but its founding goes back to 1947 when Vito P. Battista who was a first generation Italian-American architect and member of the New York State Assembly. IDC held forth a purpose to assist the building construction industry by offering instruction which was about the real world of construction. IDC tried to give a high quality of education for reasonable cost, and wanted students to feel an incentive to continue their education at a higher level. IDC had a structured study program with small classes and professional teachers. The Veterans Administration approved IDC’s program in 1952 and in 1955 became a not-for-profit institution with studies leading to a Certificate in Architecture and a Certificate in Engineering. The New York State Board of Regents authorize IDC to confer Associate Degrees of Occupational Studies in Architectural Technology, Building Construction Technology and Building Systems Design Technology, and the school was approved for Pell Grants, in 1974. ODC became a complete college in status in 1975.
Salvatore Taddeo Jr.’s choice to attend the Institute of Design and Construction enrolled him at one of 6 community colleges in Kings County, New York. The student teacher ratio at IDC was always low, 16 to 1, even up to the year of its closure due to declining enrollment. The tuition at the school was less than half the state average of $16,085.